2009 saw the 75th anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy and the establishment of St Augustine’s Catholic Primary School, Mossman.
The 1920’s saw a shift of business and administrative centres from Port Douglas to Mossman. With population growth came the desire for a Catholic school in the Douglas Shire. Sisters Mary Agnes, Gabriel, Cecelia and Pius took up residence in the Mossman presbytery until the convent building was completed. School classes were conducted under the presbytery building. Early in 1934 the school building was completed under the church and seventy students started their Catholic Education.
Over the years, several buildings have been added to the two-roomed school which functioned under the church building. Today the old church serves as several classrooms. A refurbishing program began in 1988, when two classrooms were built onto the old church building.
In 1997, House names were changed from Emus and Kangaroos to Mercy (in honour of the Sisters of Mercy); Merinda (in honour of the vessel that brought the sisters from Ireland); and MacKillop (in honour of the first Australian saint).
In 1999, a new Preschool building and two Year One classrooms were constructed. In 2000, a library, computer lab and Senior classrooms were added.
In 2001, the Mercy Convent was purchased by the parish and renovated into an administration block and a classroom. 2002 saw the construction of an undercover area, Tuckshop and an early childhood classroom.